Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Sports

Michigan, ex-coordinator sued again in hacking, identity theft case

Eleven women filed a class action lawsuit against the University of Michigan and former offensive coordinator Matthew Weiss, who authorities say hacked into computers at more than 100 universities and stole the identity of more than 3,000 students.

According to the lawsuit filed in the Eastern District of Michigan and obtained by USA TODAY Sports, the 11 women are identified as Jane Does, including seven soccer players, two gymnasts and a cheerleader.

The Regents of the University of Michigan and Keffer Development Services are also named as defendants in the lawsuit.

‘This case marks yet another disturbing failure by the University of Michigan to protect its students – particularly student-athletes – from serious breaches of privacy and trust. For nearly a decade, individuals connected to the University have suffered the unauthorized access and misuse of their personal information, allegedly by former football co-offensive coordinator Matthew Weiss and enabled by institutional negligence,’ attorneys Megan Bonanni and Lisa Esser-Weidenfeller said in a statement.

The women say they have suffered significant and severe damages and seek compensation, which the lawsuit says could exceed $50 million.

Last month, Weiss was charged with 14 counts of unauthorized access to computers and 10 counts of aggravated identity theft, and faces a maximum of five years imprisonment on each count of unauthorized access to computers and two years on each count of aggravated identity theft. Weiss’s alleged crimes spanned from 2015-2023, and authorities say he is accused of downloading confidential information of more than 150,000 student-athletes, targeting mostly female college athletes.

‘Through this scheme, unknown to account holders, Weiss downloaded personal, intimate digital photographs and videos,’ the indictment said. ‘His goal was to obtain private photographs and videos never intended to be shared beyond intimate partners’ and ‘kept notes on individuals whose photographs and videos that he viewed, including notes commenting on their bodies and sexual preferences.’

A total of five federal lawsuits have been filed against Michigan and Weiss, who worked for the Baltimore Ravens before becoming Michigan’s quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator.

(This story was updated with new information.)

This post appeared first on USA TODAY

    You May Also Like

    Politics

    Sister Stephanie Schmidt had a hunch about what her fellow nuns would discuss over dinner at their Erie, Pennsylvania, monastery on Wednesday night. The...

    Politics

    In the final three weeks of the presidential race, former president Donald Trump and his advisers have attacked one particular foe more than three...

    Politics

    DULUTH, Ga. — Former Fox News host Tucker Carlson warmed up the crowd at Donald Trump’s rally here Wednesday night with a dark metaphor,...

    Politics

    “And there’s very few states that benefit like you do from fracking. I mean, you have 500,000 jobs.” — Former president Donald Trump, remarks...